Most helpful customer reviews
6 of 6 people found the following review helpful.
Best super robot show EVER. (Yes, better than Gurren Lagann, GaoGaiGar and Gunbuster.)
By S. Craig Zahler (Crime, Western, Sci-Fi Author)
If you are interested in screaming, logic-defying robot battle, this is the one. I am a fan of Gunbuster, but the first two episodes of that six episode OVA aren't great. And I am bigger fan of Gurren Lagann, but I did not dig some of the comedic episodes and the wacky stuff, nor did I love the goofy designs of the main mecha. GaoGaiGar actually has my favorite robot designs, but there is an absurd amount of reused footage for each episode (more excusable in this, since it was a long running show) and the Mike Saunders character is the most grating character in any show that I choose to regularly watch. Additionally, the early attempts at CG are unwanted.
Contrarily, Getter Robo Armageddon is a pedal down screaming battling clanking explosion of testosterone and creativity. An incredibly high standard is set with the arc of the first few episodes, but as with the the best Gainax shows (which are their robot shows rather than their unfunny broad "comedies") and GaoGaiGar, Getter Robo Armageddon continually tops itself, getting crazier and crazier and crazier. In this case, it does it with an adult audience in mind and with stronger violence and aggression. (Though the harder sci-fi ideas of Gunbuster are appreciated by me-- I really dig hard sci-fi, especially Greg Egan and Ted Chiang.)
"So much for the laws of physics" is an actual line from the show, as the carnage reaches unprecedented levels of wildness and invention.
Animation quality of Getter Robo Armageddon, as if often the case with OVA series, is good and often spectacular. Certainly the battles and gory sequences are as fluidly animated as a high budget feature. And the monster designs are worthy of Rob Bottin (The Thing) or Bernie Wrightson.
Although I heartily recommend Gunbuster and Gurren Lagann and Gaogaigar (Japanese sure like the letter G for robots, don't they?), Getter Robo Armaggedon is the best, a relentless barrage of ideas, conveyed through screaming action, and it is the most ridiculously passionate Super Robot show I've ever seen. I've watched it in its entirety three times and will watch it for the remainder of my life.
(New Getter Robo is also good, but nowhere near the level of this.)
8 of 8 people found the following review helpful.
Good Robot Animes do exist!?!
By Ron Harris
Well its been a while since anyone put anything in the commentary, but enough of that lets talk Getter Robo. Is it good and worth buying the whole set, you wonder, or is just another robot anime that just cant cut the cake with what the fans want? Another thing why is it so freaken cheap? I am happy to say that it is awesome, the first three episodes alone get you into the action. The story may not make since then, but it will unravel over time. To be honest you should not pay to much attention to the storyline, and just let the whole thing flow for you. This kind of robot anime aint for the story driven kind of people anyway. Great action and it actually makes me want to look into the earlier series that are out there even if they may not be as action packed as this. Very brief nudity, not to much to make you cover your eyes or something and very gore, not for the kiddies. Why its cheap to buy, dont know dont care worth every penny and more. Other robot animes to look out for like this are Godannar and how could I forget Mazinkaiser.
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful. See all 18 customer reviews...
An Adrenaline-rushing, edge-of-your-seat anime!
By R. Chiu
Created almost 10 years ago, this OVA (original video animation) is apparently acclaimed as the one of the best action robot animes ever made. I just "discovered" this series recently and enjoyed every second of the show. I give Getter Armageddon Full marks for the Action and Style, 8.5/10 for the Story (if you understand it, I did after watching it the second time). Oh, and Full marks again for the superb Value of this power-pack box. The never-ending action and intensity keep you constantly on the edge of your seat. (In my case, it made me stay up late a few nights while watching many episodes back-to-back.)
Like many others, I think the story-telling could have been better. Not that the story does not make sense (once you understand it), it is the way they explain the plot which is quite confusing. I suspect the creators of the anime intentionally confuse viewers to create suspense!? My second-time viewing resolved many mysteries. Since this OVA was made like that of a movie instead of a typical TV series, you can't expect the same down-time (like in a 50-episode Gundam series) to explain everything. Perhaps the directors want viewers to capture the messages depicted on the screen without saying it out loud.
Definitely what are being said (or screamed, actually) out loud are the array of weaponry during the electrifying combats. WARNING: It will take a while after you finish watching Getter Armageddon to get screaming like "Getter Beam!!!", "Change Getter One!!!" out of your head. So you get an idea of the intensity and the energy level of this series!
Don't let the imperfections of the story-telling take anything away from the quality of the series overall. The impressive battle scenes, the bravery and never-say-die attitude of the Getter team (particularly its leader Ryoma) and the power of the Getter Robos leave a lasting impression. If you understand the plot, the story could actually be quite captivating. Getter Armageddon is definitely a must-watch for action fans! Nothing seems impossible in the world of the Getters. Adrenaline rush guaranteed!
THE PLOT: My two-cents to help viewers with troubles understanding the story. The real Dr. Saotome is not a bad guy. Noticing the re-emergence of the Invaders after the death of his daughter Michiru, the doctor vowed to avenge by creating the Shin Dragon, a giant battle machine formed by integration of hundreds of Getter machines. Saotome's plan was to use the high concentration of Getter energy from Shin Dragon to attract all the Invaders to the earth and kill them. But the doctor was infected by Invaders himself while preparing the Shin Dragon. What viewers should also understand is that Saotome after episode 3 is 100% "invaderized", before that he was only semi-infected. So he alternated between the good doctor who tried carrying out his Shin Dragon plan when he could control his mind and the crazy scientist whose righteous heart was completely tainted by his hatred of Ryoma and Hayato for the Michiru incident (even though he understands that the Invaders were the ones who caused his daughter's death). Shin Dragon, originally created to combat the Invaders, thus became the huge threat to the human race, until the Getter team wrested control over it from the three invaderized scientists towards the end of the series.
The sequence of events are as follows:
1. Michuru was invaderized during a flying practice and committed suicide.
2. Doctor Saotome found out Cohen and Stinger (the 2 scientists he worked with on the Getter Robo developement) are the real enemies and vowed to avenge.
3. Saotome was killed by Hayato. (Either Hayato killed his clone OR the real Saotome was killed by an invaderized Hayato but revived by Dr. Shikishima.) Saotome escaped from the scrutiny of Cohen and Stinger.
4. The real Saotome started creating Shin Dragon secretly. He also built Shin Getter to protect Shin Dragon until it is ready.
5. Saotome entrusted the real Hayato and Dr. Shikishima to create the 3 pilots for Shin Getter by using the DNA's of Ryoma, Hayato and Saotome. These 3 includes Go who was also created with the ESP power to activate Shin Dragon.
6. Saotome pretended to be a bad guy, took the DNA tubes and unveiled Shin Getter. He did not explain to Ryoma because Shin Dragon was still not ready to fight the Invaders.
6. The half-invaderized Saotome (and Musashi) was killed in Getter 3 by the 2 failed clones.
7. The invaderized Cohen and Stinger directed the UN's nuclear bomb to destroy Shin Dragon. Shin Dragon's Getter Ray polluted the earth.
8. Shin Dragon reappeared after 13 years. The Saotome also reappeared to finish his plan to activate Shin Dragon (and also absorb all the Getter Rays accidentally emitted from the nuclear explosion 13 years ago)
9. The original Getter team used Shin Getter to defeat the invaders and helped Getter Dragon complete its evolution.
10. Shin Getter and Shin Dragon then fought the invaders, Cohen and Stinger near Jupiter. After the battle, the Space was opened up by an explosion.
11. The Getter team was invited into the new dimension by the Getter Emperor (the giant battleship towards the end of the episode) to fight the villains with the many many Getter heroes they have not met before. The new dimension was closed after the villains have been locked up.